Cooking mixed vegetable pasta while outside is sleeting with temperature -3C.
1. Chop mixed vegetables of choice (or what’s left in the fridge), into preferred shapes and sizes. These are mine :
- Courgettes ( thinly sliced )
- Red and yellow peppers ( squares )
- Celery ( short sticks )
- carrots ( short sticks )
- Aubergines ( chunky cubes )
Dice garlic, put into pan with olive oil. Add mixed vegetables, quick stir fry. Add stock ( a few spoonful of water ) and simmer until tender.
2. Coarsely slice large chestnut mushrooms. Dice garlic and put into pan with olive oil. Quick stir fry mushroom slices.
3. Cook pasta of choice according to instructions on packet. I like pasta twists or spirals.
- Boil large pan of water with a pinch of salt.
- Follow packet instructions. For comfort food, cook longer. ( al dente pasta good for summer salad with this recipe )
- Drain, put pasta back into pan.
- Coat pasta with extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir in vegetable sauce, and let it soak into pasta for a few minutes.
- Pour in cooked vegetables, and mushrooms, with all the juice in the pans.
- Mix well and dish up.
Not a proper recipe? That’s how mothers cook, isn’t it? Improvise and use up what’s left in the fridge. Waste not. Mouths to feed.
Meanwhile, wrap up warm and dig in.